Sunday, April 4, 2010

Granola Gourmet

I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about the glycemic index of my foods, but many other people aren't so lucky, especially those with Diabetes. Granola Gourmet was founded when one of the owners was diagnosed with Diabetes and was looking for a tasty snack that didn't cause a spike in blood sugar. The ingredients in Granola Gourmet bars are chosen based off their glycemic index and choosing ingredients with a low glycemic impact.


There are 4 flavors: brownie, chocolate espresso, spiced orange cranberry and very berry. The bars contain no wheat, no dairy, no sodium and no refined sugar (LOVE that last one!!). Before tasting, I thought these would taste "different" because they are energy bars designed for diabetics. I have no idea why I thought that, but I did. Well, to my surprise, the bars were really good!! I sampled the chocolate espresso and loved it. There was a chocolate chunk in it that made the bar. The bars are packed with good for us ingredients including organic oats, organic agave, honey, organic sunflower seeds, organic flaxseeds, almonds, etc. In one very berry bar (which is sort of small), there's 140 calories, 5g fat, 3g fiber and 4 g protein. Definitely not a huge, dense bar but very moist, satisfying and tasty. A 10 bar package costs $13.95 and a portion of your purchase helps the American Diabetes Association fight diabetes. Nice touch!!

Now, these bars aren't only for diabetics, they are great for athletes and anyone looking for a healthy snack. I thought they were a nice alternative to the processed, dense, chalky energy bars that are out there. For those out there who need to monitor their blood sugar, definitely check these out. So I'm basing the biscuits on the fact that these are a great choice for diabetics and I'm giving Granola Gourmet 8 biscuits.