Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stark Sisters Granola

There are so many different kinds of granola out there today. I'm floored by all the different companies who make it and have a unique twist to it. I recently stumbled upon Stark Sisters Granola and was given some samples to try out. Debra Stark is the chef behind this granola, where she uses premium ingredients and a homebaked process. There are 3 flavors of granola to choose from: original maple almond, lo-fat raspberry blueberry and nutty maple. Just to give you an idea of the short and healthy ingredient list, here are the ingredients in the nutty maple molasses: organic whole rolled oats, pure maple syrup, pumpkin seeds, molasses, walnuts, coconut, pecans, expeller pressed canola oil and cinnamon. As with any granola, the calorie and fat content is a little high (250 calories, 11g fat per 1/2 cup), but these are good calories and fat so eaten in moderation there's no need to worry. The granola also has a healthy dose of fiber and protein, too.

Of the 3 flavors, I definitely liked the nutty maple molasses the best. The other flavors contained some freeze dried fruit which I'm not a huge fan of. But that's just a personal preference. Another personal preference is that I like my granola in big clumps, so I can pick at it and eat it dry. I'm not sure if it was just because I received samples, but there were no big clumps to be found. They even claim on their site, "Roasted until crunchy and stirred so you’re left with great big clumps." But I had no big clumps, just little pieces. I also found that it had a little bit of a burnt taste to it. Even going back to it another day, I still found myself thinking it tasted burnt and didn't care for that taste.

You can buy Stark Sister Granola directly from their website or as stated on their site it's available at some Whole Foods. Buying from the site you're looking at shelling out $20 (3 tubs) to $40 (6 tubs) and that doesn't include shipping. Shipping for up to $49.99 is $8.95 which I think it expensive!!!

I've tried a lot of granolas and this one doesn't rank up there among my favorites. I think it takes a lot to make a granola stand out and be worth the pricey cost. Most granolas aren't cheap so I think it has to be really good in order to keep me coming back for more. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm at that point with Stark Sisters. Maybe I did get a slightly burnt batch, I don't know, or maybe that's just how it tastes. But that, along with the prices and the fact that I just didn't think it stood out, really swayed the biscuit rating. I'm giving Stark Sisters 3 biscuits.