Sunday, January 31, 2010

Food For Life

Since I started eating clean I've been trying all sorts of new stuff. I had heard of Ezekiel bread but never tried it until recently. Food For Life sent me some coupons for their products and I immediately ran out to get some of these Ezekiel products I have been hearing so much about. I picked up a loaf of Ezekiel 4:9 bread and was sooooo excited when I read the ingredients...org sprouted wheat, filtered water, org sprouted barley, org sprouted millet, org malted barley, org sprouted lentils, org sprouted soybeans, org sprouted spelt, fresh yeast, org wheat gluten, sea salt. Bread made from fresh sprouted grains and no flour! Sign me up! This bread is actually good for you! According to the packaging, "...the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread - from all vegetable sources - naturally balanced in nature."

One slice of bread has 80 calories, 0.5g fat, 3g fiber and 4g protein. The bread is dense and very flavorful, maybe best described as a nutty taste and texture. It's been a big hit here and even Andy is eating it now every day. I've incorporated it into my lunches and it's now my pre long run meal, toasted with some almond butter.

Although this bread isn't cheap, it's $4.99 at our local grocery store and I think a little cheaper at TJ's, it's totally worth it. A complete protein filled with sprouted grains...ditch the white bread people and get some Ezekiel. There is a whole line of products including wraps, pasta, bagels, cereals, etc and I can honestly say, they will all be a part of my diet here on out. I'm giving Food For Life 10 biscuits. They actually deserve more biscuits than that!