Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rejuvenative Foods

I was sent some samples from Rejuvenative Foods to try out. I wanted to give you some background about the company but I have to say, the website is very busy!! I did find their mission statement, which is: "The main purpose and goal of Rejuvenative Foods is to support the dissemination of information about Raw Cultured Vegetables & Raw Nut and Seed Butters and to provide the highest quality products of this type available for everyone's health benefit." They sent me some almond butter, spicy kim-chi and raw sauerkraut. Of course I dove into the almond butter right away, as you can tell by the empty jar in the picture below. They make their almond butter by slowly grinding organic almonds 4 or more times. As per their packaging, "...repetitive grinding and cooling keeps the temperature low enough to retain enzymes and life energy." Seriously, the concept behind "raw" food really fascinates me. Anyway, the almond butter was good...it was almond butter, nothing out of the ordinary.




Next up I tried the kim-chi. Hmmm. Interesting. I love eating ginger when I eat sushi and I thought this would go great with some fish. I have yet to try that combo but plan to do it this week, actually. The kim-chi consisted of cabbage, carrots, onions, ginger, high-mineral health salt, and ground dried red pepper. It definitely had a kick to it, which is right up my ally.

When I opened the sauerkraut to try it, I almost didn't get past the smell. But I braved it out and took a taste. The sauerkraut was very fine, not shredded like I've seen on hotdogs. To my surprise, I actually liked it. Not sure what I would do with it, but the Rejuvenative website has some recipes suggestions I'll have to check out.

As for what I thought overall, I'll be honest...I would not purchase any of these 3 products. The 8oz jar of almond butter goes for $15, which I think is extremely high. The kim-chi cost $12 and the sauerkraut $10. I personally didn't like these products enough to purchase them again. But, there's always a but, Rejuvenative Foods has a huge selection of other products. From tahini and nut butters, to salsa to raw cured vegetables! I have my eye on the Pecan Pie Butter. It sounds delicious!

I'm giving Rejuvenative Foods 4 biscuits.