Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mom's Best Naturals

I'm a sucker for cereal. I love it so much that I don't bring it into the house because I could blow through a box in no time. I eat it plain, straight from the box as a snack. The only cereal you'll find in our household is shredded wheat. We try to eat as healthy as possible and when buying cereal, it's hard to find one that's actually healthy. So, I was really interested in trying Mom's Best Naturals cereals. Mom's Best is a family owned business which makes only cereal. They don't use artificial preservatives, colors or flavors, no saturated fat or hygrogenated oils and no high fructose corn syrup. In addition to making cereal, Mom's Best also works to help the environment by looking for ways to reduce their use of natural resources. I thought it was really cool to see that they listed 10 ways we can all help the environment on the boxes of cereal. Just simple, easy to do things which if we all did, could really add up and make a difference.


Now, as for the cereal. It was delicious, I won't lie. The toasted cinnamon squares were awesome. And the Honey-ful Wheat, very tasty. But, I have to say, when I opened the honey-ful wheat, and saw the word "wheat" on the box, I was shocked to see the first ingredient listed was evaporated milled sugar. Wheat was the second ingredient. This really shocked me. The cereal is honey-ful wheat, I would expect wheat to be the main ingredient. Anyway, in addition to the sugar and wheat, this particular cereal has corn syrup, honey, salt, caramel color, soybean oil and a few other ingredients. While the ingredient list was shorter than most other cereals you see on the shelf, I wasn't sold that I was eating something that was necessarily good for me. Sugar is sugar and there was a lot in these cereals...which explains why they tasted so good.

I liked the taste of these cereals but unfortunately they won't be making it into my cabinet next to the shredded wheat box. If you have kids who get to indulge in the sweeter cereals, then I think Mom's Best is a good choice. I also really like that they promote helping the environment...big plus! But since I don't see myself purchasing this cereal in the future, I'm giving Mom's Best 3 biscuits.