Sunday, December 27, 2009

French Meadow Bakery

Let me just start off by saying that I LOVE bagels but I NEVER let myself eat them. Well, that might be changing, my friends. I recently tried some bakery products from French Meadow Bakery and I think I found a bagel that I can actually feel good about eating. But first, a little about the company and my favorite part...they use sustainable ingredients and "avoid using ingredients that contain genetically-modified organisms, which impact biodiversity in the plant world and have an unknown effect on human health." They have a good selection of products from breads, bagels, tortillas and even desserts. For those of you with gluten allergies, they also make gluten free products.

I recently tried the sprouted 16 grain and seed bagels and bread. Both products had flax seed and sunflower seeds with gave them a really nice crunch. While the bread was very dense, I thought it was really tasty. I had one slice with some PB2 before a run and it held me over for hours!! The bagels I've enjoyed as a treat and let me say, with 10g of fiber, 14g of protein and only 250 calories, I didn't feel bad about eating what usually is no-no for me.


I haven't tried the wraps yet but they are considered a complete protein and are organic sprouted 100% flourless. Getting ready to start the Eat Clean Diet, I think these will be perfect.


I've checked out the prices and they are spot on with what I see in the grocery store for high end breads and bagels. The package also came frozen so everything was nice and fresh when I tried it. But I did burn myself on the dry ice...that sort of sucked. Check out their website cause there's also some on line coupons.

I'm really trying to eat some more healthy carbs and I liked what I tried from French Meadow. However, after comparing it to the Ezekiel bread I bought today, I like the fewer ingredients in the Ezekiel bread. But if French Meadow was sold in a store near me, I would buy their products and I'm giving them 6.5 Biscuits.