Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tierra Farm

I recently received a box of goodies from Tierra Farms. A little bit about them..."Tierra Farm is a small, privately-owned, certified organic producer and roasting company in upstate New York. We maintain a diversified organic vegetable farm in the Finger Lakes region of New York state, but specialize in nut and seed roasting and dried fruits. At Tierra Farm, we strive for A+ quality in all of our products." All of their products are 100% organic and they roast all of their nuts (heh, that sounded funny) in-house in small batches. Oh, and they are a peanut free facility for those of you with allergies. They sent me so many things to try out but I have to say, hands down my favorite was their dried mango and the Maple Cashew butter. The cashew butter tasted so fresh...and as you see, I barely had it around long enough to take a picture!

They have a good variety of nut butters and I think the chocolate honey cashew butter sounds awesome! They also have a lot of different flavored nuts like curry cashews and agave ginger cashews. While I haven't had the chance to taste all the nuts they sent, the ones I have tried are delicious and everything is really fresh. As for pricing, the nut butters are really reasonable...$10 a jar. The nuts, a pound of their almonds is $8.00. For comparison, I just paid around $10 for 3lbs at Costco. But then again, I didn't buy Organic.


Reading up about the company, I saw this and thought it was really interesting: "The nut, seed and dried fruit portion of the business was originally an attempt to create a source of income for the winter. That winter job has become a thriving year-around business, thanks to our tasty product selection and a reliable and energetic staff with an eye for quality." I'm all about supporting companies like this, who make things in-house in small batches. I like knowing what I'm getting is fresh and hasn't been sitting around in preservatives for years. So, I'm giving Tierra Farms 8 Biscuits.