Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Zone Perfect

A while back (sorry for the late review) I received some Cookie Dough Zone Perfect bars to try out. When I was contacted all I heard was "cookie dough" and I was sold!! Zone Perfect strives to take a creative approach to nutrition and to discover unique flavor combinations that are rich in nutrients and taste good.  To date, they have "introduced over 20 delicious, nutritious varieties." A really interesting thing about this company is that they have partnered with VH1 Save the Music Foundation and have donated over $300,000 that'll be used to help keep music programs alive in public schools across the nation.



Zone Perfect has 4 types of bars: Classic, Fruitified, Dark and Cookie Dough. The cookie dough variety comes in chocolate chip, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin. I was excited to try the oatmeal raisin one since these are my favorite kind of cookie. I won't lie, the bar was awesome!! It tasted fabulous and I'm surprised I still have one of them left. It was more of a treat to me than a nutrition bar. To give you an idea of how they stack up nutritionally, the chocolate chip bar has 180 calories, 5g fat, <1g fiber, 18g sugar (not crazy about that) and 10g protein. Not too bad but I personally like to get some fiber in most things I eat and 18g of sugar is sort of high. But, for the taste, I let this slide.

But...yes, there's a but. When I looked at the list of ingredients I was a little turned off. First off, there are a lot of them and second, there's some stuff in there that I don't care to have a regular part of my diet. Brown rice syrup, corn syrup and chocolate drops (which is made with sugar among other things) were the first 3 ingredients. I've seen bars with way more ingredients and some with way less but the bottom line was I felt these were a little too processed for me, even if I just ate them as a treat.

So they taste great (and even come with a "great taste guarantee") but they aren't something that will become a staple in my diet. Especially since there are less ingredients, and ones which I know, in actual cookie dough. Sorry Zone Perfect but I'm going to have to give you 2 biscuits.