Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Power Balance

I had the opportunity to try out a Power Balance bracelet recently. You know, those things that are all the rage, being worn by celebrities and athletes and almost everyone else you see. I admit, I wanted to try it. I wanted to see what all the hype was about and if this little bracelet would make me run further, jump higher, feel better, etc, etc. I went into it with a VERY open mind curious to see if I would reap any benefits.

According to the letter I received, "Power Balance is designed to resonate with, respond to and optimize the body's natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies." After reading that I wasn't really sure how this worked so I went to the website for more info. Under the heading "What is Power Balance" I thought for sure I'd find out more. Unfortunately, all it said was "Made by athletes for athletes, Power Balance is a favorite among elite competitors, weekend warriors, and everyday fitness enthusiasts." Sort of vague but I still wanted to see what this little bracelet would do for me.

Well, after wearing it for several weeks, the verdict...nothing. The bracelet did squat for me or my performance but it did look cute. I actually like the look of them and that's about all I got out of it.

After I wore this, I found out about some negative press so I just read the company's response to this (which can be found on their website). One part of their response is, "The mission of Power Balance has always been to develop and deliver quality products that enhance people's lives," said Kato. "Our products are based on the idea of optimizing the body's natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many holistic and Eastern philosophies. Frankly, we know there will always be critics of new technologies, but our products are used by those with open minds who experience real results. Our company is absolutely committed to further evaluating the technology behind its products' performance so that we can continue to offer products that enhance people's lifestyle."

Take it for what it's worth. If it works for you, that's great. If you like it because it's cute, then I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to give Power Balance 2 biscuits...it would have been lower if I didn't think that a pink one would be cute to wear.